Prior to The Great War, there was no such thing on Menelon as a “war orc”. The current hypothesis by academics, after much study of the corpses, that the war orc is a genetically engineered species, produced by the Confederation, to serve as a common foot soldier and laborer. The former seems to have been the original goal of the breeding program, the latter a result of natural diversity within the species. In plain language: only 60% of war orcs are actually fit for war; the other 40% end up being suitable only for logistical support. Notably, none are suitable for even mid-level NCO duties, which goes a long way towards explaining the other major Confederation breeding program: Crossing war orcs (male) with humans (female). This latter program may have actually lost the war for the Confederation, as it did more to incense humanity than any other atrocity the Confederation committed in their hundred year genocidal war.
Genetically, the war orc is a cross between the common orc and a troll. Precisely how the Confederation accomplished this remains a mystery, as the two species cannot naturally interbreed.